Friday, May 15, 2009

I am blogging about food.

Last night I went with the Girlfriend, and a cast of others, to Pizza Libretto to celebrate her sister's birthday. For those that do not know, Libretto (as I have come to call it) apparently bakes their Pizzas at 900 degrees for approximately 90 seconds. This is a good thing. They top their Pizzas with fresh, local ingredients. This is a good thing. They are trendy as hell and super busy. This I don't care about either way.

After starting our meal with some Prosecco and a plate of cheeses and meats, we moved on to the main show.
The Pizzas.
Now, dear reader, you may notice that I am capitalizing every instance of the word Pizza. How observant of you! Gold stars all round! I do this because the tale I am about to recount to you is a tale of sheer delight and culinary... I don't even know what word I should be using here! To hell with it! On with the story!

Relatively standard Pizzas were ordered by all, Margherita, Sausage, Hot Peppers. The Girlfriend ordered a Wild Ontario Mushroom number. For myself, after much deliberation over whether or not to go for the Duck Confit and Pear Pizza, I chose the special. The Fresh Mozzarella, Wild Leeks, and Proscuitto Pizza.

Perhaps I will live to regret this choice. Perhaps I will forever compare all Pizzas that follow to this spectacular dish. Perhaps I shall go mad attempting to recreate it. Whatever happens, it will all be worth it.

This Pizza, this food of the gods, it was perfect. The Proscuitto thin and pink, the Leeks spread gingerly atop the gooey cheese. The crust; thin, blistered, and in some spots blackened. Delicious. After one bite I knew I had made the right choice, and I let everyone at the table know. Then I made everyone try some, just so they could see that they had clearly made the wrong choice.

As the ladies sipped a nice Chianti, The Girlfriend's Sister's Fiancé (confusing...) sipped a Creemore, I tucked into a Liberty Ale. This beer, cold, bitter, refreshing, was exactly what I needed to drink with the Pizza. The flavours seemed to fit together so perfectly, I could not imagine a better pairing.

Dessert was OK, I was peer-pressured into ordering the Canoli. I don't like Canolis, as a rule. This one was OK. The espresso was also OK. A bit too sour. But then, I'm just picky about my coffees.

To rate everything, I would give the Pizza as many stars as there exist in the sky, the dessert and apps I would give 2.75 stars, and the evening as a whole a perfectly splendid five stars out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment